Sunday, September 05, 2010

Eat to live or live to eat?

Today I read the sme paper’s headline “Eat to live or live to eat?”

I came across this question for the past one month even before seeing the headline. My circumstances are, I work on a basic salary package which means I am paid in an equal amount every month. Day one I get my pay, day two I transfer out approximately 75% of my salary. I pay installments to banks for both my house and car, I pay for Astro that I don’t really watch, electricity, water, house phone bill, house internet bill, personal Handphone bill and also credit card expenses. At the end of the day, I ask myself, what value have I added to myself? I work hard every month, to feed banks, telco companies, Utilities Company, etc etc… I end up with almost nothing. The month would end up a little more miserable if I had overspent on buying some luxury items (watch, football jerseys, ipad, computers, etc) or I went out on a food spending spree.

I think many of us haven’t taken the time to realize the fact that we are earning to make other people especially the big boys in the market to increase their wealth. By working, doesn’t even matter if you’re in sales or in any commission based jobs, the 5-25% of commission doesn’t only mean we are that much richer, it also means that the big boys are getting 75-95% richer. But the system has been in existence for centuries that we all seem to adapt well to it with not much complains. Or there could be some that would prefer to live the day and just spend what they earn. I am good with this system too all this while. I have a degree in engineering plus masters in risk management. I always thought starving would not be an issue. However, given the circumstances of the country, I might be broke as early as the end of the year. Being Malaysians, we are well adapted to another one of our well taught system, the “Yes I know, but what can I do about it? and then we do nothing about it” system. But looking at some of my friends which some did even complete high school earning 5 figures already, once again reminded me how unfair the world is. I am not going to sit here and just whine about all this. The pieces of cake is so huge, I believe I can work my way to a bite or hopefully a bigger slice. So everyone, time to not sit and whine.

No comments: