Sunday, March 20, 2011

Week 1 @ Langkawi

The day came 22nd, I was glad that I am finally out of the office, to the beach after spending most of my last two years in a cubicle.

What else beats teambuilding in the duty free land of Langkawi? The last one I had, I was on the flying fox, climbing walls, beach volleyballs, rafting, etc. I had so much in mind for this Langkawi trip. Little did I know, what was in store is 4 days of in-the-class activities learning on i-ACTED. I have always believed that values can't be taught and it’s something that we learn through life experiences. Otherwise, I will just be keeping those values because I was taught to rather than I want to.

However, I was in for a treat to learn how the values and the pillars shape the Bank to what it is today. Having said so, Bank Negara has become a respected and successful organization while becoming one of the points of reference for other central banks in the world. Prior to this, I had always defined “authoritative” as having various authorities within the financial industries within the country. In short, I fell in love with the bank and I am proud to become a central banker. Having to incorporate all the values into a group mural was really the icing on the cake. Thank you Falahi for making it happen.

Luckily for us, it wasn’t all about classes when Shamsul finally brought us out for kayak on the last day of the teambuilding after way much of persuasion. Amen. I was also blessed with some funky, smart yet reliable mates, Akmal, Kath, Tania and Sheli. We formed two kayaks into a shape something we would believe is aerodynamic and trashed Langkami’s team. Unfortunately, we only ended up in second place losing to Hash, the worthy champions. All I can say is, the yellow Kayak failed us and there were totally nothing wrong with the human elements of my team.

To reflect back the week, I really had a fantastic time getting to know 16 new fellow colleagues and a handful from HCDC. I would really like to express my gratitude to HCDC for making this happen. The highlight was listening to Pn. Arlina sharing her lifelong experience with the bank. I really learnt a lot from her and Shamsul in incorporating the 6 core shared values within my career in Bank Negara. I am really to play my part for the Greater Good of the Nation.

No comments: