Thursday, April 07, 2011

Week 3 @ The Code of Ethics (and Conducts?)

My definition of the code of ethics, CoE is ‘A set of rules created due to the nature of the organization where each employee is required to abide should they be employed to ensure that the working environment and reputation were not compromised’.

Having heard so much about being a central banker prior to joining The Bank, I kind of had an impression on how strict The Bank is going to be. Being someone that just doesn’t abide by the rules, I can’t help but wonder if I would be a good fit in the organization. Somehow, I joined. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like breaking the rules, I just feel that one should behave with integrity and honesty to oneself rather than behaving so, just because the regulations say so.

Being brought up in a single parent family, my mum had always brought me to her office everyday to ensure that she can keep an eye on me when she’s at work. Being a multinational organization, one would expect the lengthy CoE. Being the innocent me, I always pop up questions such as why the men have to wear ties even when the sun is blazing hot. And why do people behave and talk so differently when they are inside the office. As I grow up, I learn that everyone within an organization is governed by two sets of rules. One being the written CoE and the other, I would name it the “unwritten” CoE. Well, that is the real world, isn’t it?

Anyway, let’s get back to topic. Having worked in a different organization before joining The Bank certainly gives me something to compare to. Other than the generic guidelines on sexual harassment (Yes, Tania and Huihui, sexual harassment), punctuality and the ‘what’s not’, The Bank and my previous employer is totally different in their CoE. Being an American company, there are certainly more leniency within the CoE. For example, the non compulsory tie at work and the casual Fridays.

Since joining Bank Negara, I changed from hating ties to loving them. I really believe a tie actually changes one’s professionalism outlook. Having a tie, it shows that your job is relatively more serious and you really mean business. Being a central banker now, I feel that it is a necessity to portray such image.
Regarding casual Fridays, I really have to disagree to the saying of casual Fridays make people lazy at work. In fact, being in a casual outfit made me work better as I feel more comfortable and a little more stress free. My creativity blossoms under such conditions.

It is really an open verdict on the importance of the CoE. I shall leave it for everyone to decide for themselves. What I learn most in life is that, rules and regulations will never ceased to exist. The important thing is that, we must live true to ourselves and never do things that will reflect badly on the organization and the people you are involved with.

No comments: