Sunday, October 03, 2010

Being a risk engineer

I started my career with AIG General Insurance Bhd on the 23rd of March 2009...

I meet clients having financial interest on their properties. Then I am to provide damage risk management which includes protecting them from fire and burglary exposures. I check on their alarm system, fire protection appliances and to ensure that all production is performed in tact with proper occupational health and safety measures.

The good part about having this job is that I have flexible hours. I don't need to be in the office and out of the office on time. I just need to get my reports out in due time. I also get to travel all around Malaysia handling our domestic clients. I get to stay in five star hotels around the country.

I get to see things more than a common guest or a patrons would get to see. For example, when you go to a spa. What you get to see is the facilities such as jacuzzi, massage cubicles, common area, etc. What i get to see is where they hid their "live stocks". Where they normally wait before business starts, how they travel through escape routes during raids and also what the authorities do during a raid. This is all part of my job as I need to understand the risk of the building being damage due to their operations. There was once, I was on the roof of a 25 storey building in KL. And when i say roof, i mean the roof. A roof made asbestos sheets and where there are no side barriers what soever preventing me from falling. The roof is where the live stocks run to during a raid. And to be at the roof, there are some dangerous routes that i need to take. Not dangerous to the extent that I am risking my life, but there could be a high possibility of myself getting injured.

The most funny experience happen recently when I have this encounter of the supernaturals. There is a new shopping cum office mall in the PJ experiencing a severe amount of claims due to their burst of water pipes. Yes, my job also includes understanding the piping system within a building. Okay, back to the story. There is this particular shop (my client) & another has occasional burst of water pipes within their premise. Normally, this could be explain in technical terms due to bottle necks and distribution causing excessive pressure within the pipes. However, there are no technical problems within the pipelines. So why the burst of pipe? Apparently, there are "kids" running the shops during after hours. And having to do my job and to please my curiosity, I had to move in to the "habitat" of the "kids". I finally know what it feels to be near the supernaturals.

There goes...

1 comment:

~B.3.V.3.R.L.Y~ said...

Shawn, how come you didn't mention anything about the 'kids' in your survey report??? :P